Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Crochet on the Brain

The brain of a baby girl?

A very sweet friend gave me a most thoughtful gift for my birthday that consisted of several treasures.

First of all, this box of incredible thread made in France and a pamphlet of delicate crochet edging patterns:



This is very exciting because some of the patterns are for hairpin lace edging, and I just recently acquired a small hairpin lace tool.



The cotton is of the most amazing quality. It's so crisp that it almost seems like linen. If there are any crocheters out there who can date the thread by its box, for sure let me know in the comments below.


This is the treasure that you glimpsed in the first photo. It's a hot pad crocheted by someone named Marie. It is a series of raised ruffles crocheted onto a grid of filet crochet.

Here is a close-up of the front:



And one of the back:


This is a fascinating piece of work using a technique I had not seen before. A 15-minute online search finally brought me to a similar, but a simpler pattern. The difference, if you want to try to make one, it that the pattern at the Craft Yarn Council site has a grid of 11 by 11 and is worked in rug yarn. This beauty in the photo has a grid of 19 by 19, and it's worked in either size 5 or size 10 cotton.

Isn't it lovely?

4 comments:

Frannie said...

Beautiful treasures. What will you make with the thread from France?

Erin Wallace said...

I've never seen crochet like that, with a back that looks like that. Don't you love getting vintage thread? I feel like I'm giving it new life.

Hey - you sure can come visit my swingin' English pad! I'll come to Barcelona when I need some sun!

xo - Erin

Sharon said...

Frannie, I think I'm going to try some hairpin lace edging.

Erin, it's a deal!

Becca said...

What a lovely gift! I *so* treasure anything vintage :) Learning to crochet better is on my to do list!